what is novel corona virus?
Coronaviruses(CoV) are a huge family of viruses comprising of numerous viruses, which are responsible for ailments that are mild like common cold to more severe diseases such as Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS-CoV) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS-CoV). As a result of an outbreak which originated in Wuhan, Hubei, china, a new strain is discovered which is known as severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2).It is closely related to bat coronaviruses, pangolin coronaviruses and SARS-CoV. It is believed that the virus may have originated in horseshoe bats.The disease caused by it is coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). Initial few cases came to the light in December, 2019. On 11th March 2020, it was declared a pandemic by World Health Organization (WHO) as it has already affected every continent with a plethora of cases except Antarctica and it’s increasing it’s spread with a rapid pace. It is known as novel corona virus as previously no such virus was discovered.
How it spreads?
It is known to be highly contagious. Coronaviruses are known to be zoonotic which means that they are transmitted between animals and people. “Detailed investigations found that SARS-CoV was transmitted from civet cats to humans and MERS-CoV from dromedary camels to humans. Several known coronaviruses are circulating in animals that have not yet infected humans “as said by WHO.
It spreads in various ways:
1.Through respiratory droplets between two people if a sick person coughs or sneezes.
2.If a person touches a contaminated surface then touches his face basically eyes, nose and mouth. A singular study of how long SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) remains infectious on various surfaces, “show that when the virus is carried by the droplets released when someone coughs or sneezes, it remains viable, or able to still infect people, in aerosols for at least three hours.”If a person is in close proximity( less than about 6 feet) with a sick person or touches him/her even through a hand shake.
3.By touching or using stuff like towels e.t.c of an already sick person.
4.It is considered most contagious after the person is symptomatic but it is possible that he might get contaminated even if the symptoms have not appeared.
It is more likely to affect:
1)A person with weak immunity rather than someone with a strong immune system.
2) An old-aged person rather than a young person.Most of those who died were elderly—about 80% of deaths were in those over 60.
3)People with pre-existing conditions like diabetes, cancer, cardiovascular diseases e.t.c.Most of those who died ,75% had pre-existing health conditions including cardiovascular diseases and diabetes.
The incubation period of the disease is around 5 to 14 days. Mild symptoms might occur after around 2-5 days of being contaminated.
The mortality rate is estimated to be around 1.4 percent and for people older than 60 it is around 2.6 percent. Among those who died from the disease, the time from development of symptoms to death was between six and 41 days, with a median of 14 days. As of 21 March 2020, more than 11,400 deaths have been attributed to COVID-19.
symptoms of this pandemic include:
2)shortness of breath.
8) might be runny nose
It can lead to:
1)Pneumonia in both lungs
2)Organ failure in several organs
(source of both the image: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Symptoms_of_coronavirus_disease_2019_2.0.svg)
The symptoms are mostly like normal influenza(influenza A and influenza B).
Till now there is no vaccine or anti-viral available for the pandemic. FDA has approved remdesivir for compassionate use.
few of the preventive measures that can be taken are:
- Abstain from touching your face frequently, especially with dirty hands.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds frequently, or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
- while coughing or sneezing cover your mouth or use a tissue then discard the tissue and wash your hands. You can use the sleeves of your shirt to sneeze in.
- use disinfectants or clean the surfaces like: your phone e.t.c that you touch on daily basis.
- refrain from sharing dishes, glasses, bedding and other household items if you’re sick or with the sick person.
- Don’t be in close proximity with the sick or has symptoms, maintain a distance of atlas around 6 feet.
- avoid using public transportation is such grave situation, use your own vehicle instead.
- Do work from home. Take leave from schools and colleges.
- Avoid travelling especially abroad or any area which is already affected.
- If returning from journey especially abroad, Self-quarantine yourself for at least 14 days and get tested for the same if symptoms occur during this period. If possible family members of the person should also practice self-quarantine. Rules are already made for the same by different nations.
- Social isolation: In present situation where the spread of this virus is increasing it’s pace, one should avoid any public gathering, mass events. One should abstain to go to places like cinemas, restaurants, cafes, parties, concerts e.t.c. Basically, any place where there is a chance of contact with numerous people should be avoided to visit. As the situation is exacerbating, one should even not entertain any guests at home. Go only in case of emergencies.
- Quarantine: It is complete isolation of yourself from the world i.e not leaving your house or coming in touch with anyone.
- Exercise, eat food that will boost your immunity. You can eat citrus fruits also you can consume vitamin C supplements.
Actions taken by various nations:
read the link below for a better insight:
Janta Curfew in India:
- To restraint corona virus, PM Narendra Modi asked to observe “Janta Curfew” on 22nd march from 7 am to 9 pm where no one should step outside there house barring essential services. It will be in place for 14 hours, the intention is to break the chain of this spread.
- Markets, malls and shops are likely to be closed. Only medical stores and shops that ell essential goods will be open.
- Metros in various cities will be closed. No announcement is made regarding bus services.
- Visitors will not be allowed to visit their jail inmates.
- No passenger train will work from midnight to 10 pm on Sunday.
- Low fare carriers IndiGo and GoAir will together cancel close to 1,000 domestic flights , both said without giving any assurance of a refund to affected passengers.
- “I want that on March 22, we express our gratitude to them. At 5 pm on Sunday, we should stand on doors, balconies, windows of our homes and express our gratitude for five minutes,” PM Modi said, adding that people can do so by clapping or ringing bells.
So, it is our duty to observe this practice of social distancing which is highly required in this situation of fiasco. please make sure that everyone around you is aware of janta curfew and urge everyone to follow it. Let’s together make it a success. let’s fight corona together.
I would like to share my experience. So, I have a younger brother studying in Purdue University, USA. Due to the lockdown in the area around his university, students were asked to vacate hostels. So, in this situation of crisis he has to return back to India( please avoid travelling if it’s not an emergency). He will be landing to Mumbai on 22nd march. According to the precautionary measures taken by Indian government he has to be self- quarantined for 14 days. He will follow it and everyone in our house will also follow self-quarantine practice along with him. My point is please abide by all the rules and don’t take this grave situation lightly. There is no harm in being at home for few days. If you say that boredom is gripping you then you can convert it into something productive or may be take a break from your hectic lifestyle and relax. I again urge you to take all the necessary precautions. Take care, stay safe. We can do it.
Important numbers and links:
- Watsapp number of WHO for genuine information:+41798931892. just say “Hi” on this number then you will be given various options.
2. corona helpline number in India:+91-11-23978046
Toll Free No: 1075
3. Corona helpline email in India: firstname.lastname@example.org
4. corona virus situation tracking: https://infographics.channelnewsasia.com/covid-19/map.html
4. corona dashboard India of Ministry of health and family welfare: https://www.mohfw.gov.in
5. Corona dashboard world: https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019
#corona #coronavirus #covid19 #jantacurfew #isupportjantacurfew #gocorona #selfisolation
To get your own wordpress site, click on the link below: