What do you do when you see someone suffering from depression? What’s your reaction when you see someone sad and lonely? Your instinctive words are “I am there for you”. You console them saying that they are not alone in this and that they have your back. But my point is do you really mean it? And what do you mean when you say you will be by their side? Have you actually tried to dive into the fathoms of their mind and understand their situation? No! In most of the cases, it is all superficial. You get touched by their condition momentarily and you don’t bother to decipher what’s actually behind that depressed soul.
The truth is they need you beyond your words. They need to be understood. This depression is far more than sadness. It’s complex and needs to be dealt with intricacy. The ones suffering don’t need your shallow sweet words or a social media post citing how much you support this cause. So, when you see someone inflicted with depression, be with them. Firstly, be a good listener, listen to them over and over again because they need to be heard. It will help in emptying the baggage formed by their suppressed emotions. Don’t judge them, instead understand their condition. Talk positively to them and motivate them. To heal them entirely, you need to be present with your heart and soul with them.
If you actually want to help them, etch these things in your mind:
- The people who are suffering need someone who can listen to their silence. Be their kin
- Even if they look fine, they might not be okay. Check up on them
- They might reiterate their same problem million times, listen to them patiently every single time
- Motivate them to live life to the fullest
- Make them realize their self-worth
- Most importantly don’t judge them because you can never see the world through their eyes
- Try to mend even the smallest thing in their life because little things matter
- They have lost faith in everyone. Make them realize the goodness of people around by being good to them
- Fill their life with positivity
- It will take some time for them to be healed. Be patient with them
- Never give up on them
Be with them all along. You are not a doctor but you are a human, you can save someone’s life.
To get your own WordPress website, click on the link below: